Area of the Ministry of Education and Research
The Ministry of Education and Research is responsible for the planning of education, research, youth and language related national policies and, in conjunction thereof, managing the fields of pre-primary, basic, general upper secondary, vocational secondary, higher, hobby and adult education, organising research and development activities, youth work and special youth work, and compiling drafts of corresponding legal acts.
In the area of government of the Ministry of Education and Research there are:
- State agencies
- Government agencies
- State upper secondary schools
- Professional higher education institutions
- Vocation education institutions
- Schools for students with special education needs
- Public research and development authorities
One of the foundations in the area of the Ministry of Education and Research is Archimedes Foundation. Archimedes Foundation was established by the Estonian Government in 1997 to operate in the area of government of the Ministry of Education and Research.
Besides Archimedes Foundation there are many other foundations that are competence centers in their respective field in Estonia.
The foundations in the area of the government of the Ministry of Education and Research are:
Archimedes Foundation is an independent body to implement Estonian and European Union programmes in the field of training, education and research:
- We coordinate national programmes
- We are the national agency for international cooperation programmes
- We are the implementing agency for the EU Structural Funds in the field of higher education and research
- We evaluate the quality of Estonian higher and vocational education
- We assess foreign diplomas and other qualifications